Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WEENIE SAYS

So last night was the Jane's Addiction concert.  The last time I saw them was at the first Lollapalooza, so I really didn't know what to expect.  I was disappointed.  

The setlist was good, being mostly songs from Ritual de Lo Habitual and Nothing's Shocking, with maybe 3 or 4 new songs peppered in.  As much as I hate saying this, the problem was Perry Farrell.  He wasn't really singing.  It was more mumbling, screwing around with some sound controls producing screeching, and him occasionally singing the lyrics.  It was a real shame, too, because when he did actually sing, he sounded great.  But it was more of an instrumental performance with the crowd doing most of the heavy lifting, vocally.  





 Dave Navarro, however, was amazing.  I always forget that he's such a good guitarist.  I couldn't help but wonder if he was as annoyed as I was with Farrell's performance.  They barely even interacted with each other.  Now if only he would lose the Joker makeup and the flat iron...

One of the highlights of the night was their performance of Chip Away.  With the exception of three drums, the performance was acoustic.  It also happened to be the only one that Farrell sang all the way through.  The drums were what made it, though.  I wish I had a picture or some video of it*, but I was way too into it to whip out the iPhone and focus on recording it.  I just wanted to enjoy the song.  

All that being said, I'm still glad I went.  Better to know myself that it wasn't that great than to regret missing it.

 


*I found a video on YouTube.  It's not from the Wellmont, but it's exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment