Monday, March 5, 2012

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

I (unlike Paul Scanniello) was unsure how I felt about the new Springsteen album.  Well, at least about the two songs I'd heard so far.  I can definitely say that I dislike that We Take Care of Our Own song, and Wrecking Ball was just meh.

Then came Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Friday.

The interview with Bruce was great, as most usually are, despite Fallon's usual out of control fanboy yammering.  Then came the first song they would perform that night.  It's called Death to My Hometown, and I cannot tell you just how much I love this song.  It could be the presence of fifes (yes, fifes) that make me love it, due to the Irish factor.  Or it could be that it just kicks ass.  My only concern is that the studio version on the album may not be as awesome.  As with many of Springsteen's songs, sometimes the live version just blows the album one out of the water.  I guess I'll have to wait and see.  The second song they did wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.  The closer was brilliant, however.  They did The E Street Shuffle, which is not something you'll hear performed live often, and they did it with The Roots.  And you know that when you add The Roots to just about anything, it's better.

The only downside to the amazingness of the track was that it made me want to see him and the E Street Band on their upcoming tour even more than I had before.  Unfortunately, I am not a bajillionaire, so that's not going to happen.

3 comments:

  1. Finally! My google alert including my name and Bruce Springsteen paid off!

    Death to My Hometown was not one of my original favorites, but I've really come around to it, partially thanks to that intense Fallon performance. The album version has a real Joe Strummer and the Mesceleros vibe to it, so I think it's great.

    Really? You don't think Wrecking Ball (the song) is fantastic? Give it another listen. That one and the studio version of Land of Hope and Dreams have vaulted into my list of all-time great Springsteen recordings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you'd see this!

    Wrecking Ball is the kind of song that could grow on me, absolutely. I will say that this album is definitely more in the vein of the old Bruce records, and that makes me SO SO happy. I'll be listening to it more and more over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know your thoughts!

    Maybe I should start paulloveswreckingball.tumblr.com...

    ReplyDelete