Thursday, March 21, 2013

TRADITION

The 19th was St. Joseph's Day.  This is a Catholic sort-of holiday celebrated by Italian people by eating custard-y pastries.  That's the kind of holiday I can get behind.  Since I live with an Italian man whose middle name is Joseph, I though maybe it would be nice if we celebrated.

Seeing that I'm Irish and I have no idea what to do on St. Joseph's Day, I turned to the ultimate authority on such things - Google.  I discovered that besides eating delicious, custard-y (or cannoli cream filled) zeppoles, people also have a traditional pasta dish consisting of sardines (UGH) or anchovies and breadcrumbs.  The fish is due to the fact that the holiday falls during Lent, when most people (back in the day) abstained from eating meat.  The breadcrumbs are to represent sawdust, as Joseph was a carpenter.  Knowledge!  So I went and got all my spaghetti, anchovies, and breadcrumbs and whipped up what turned out to be a really freaking good (if I do say so myself) dinner.  For dessert, zeppoles.

All in all it was a good night, and I feel like we may have started some kind of a tradition.  And anyone who knows me knows that I am corny as hell and love that kind of thing.  I feel like I need to buy a special apron or something.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment