Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PUMPKIN ROLLS

When Sunday arrived, I had no tickets to any football games so I decided to pretend to be my great-grandmother and bake.  From scratch.  Now I've done plenty of baking in the past, but I've always been afraid of any kind of dough.  The rising and proofing is something I was always sure I'd screw up; it's too temperamental.  But this recipe was just too good to pass up.  So I went to the store and got everything I needed, held my breath, and gave it a shot.
I let the yeast dissolve, mixed it all up in the Kitchen-Aid and prayed to God it would double in size as it sat for 3 hours (as the recipe told me it would.)


            Ta-da!  There it is, my pumpkin dough.  Doubled in size!!
                                  
Next step was fairly easy.  I had to smear butter and brown sugar and toasted pecans all over it.  No problem.  Then came rolling it up.  Keep in mind that I had rolled it out to about twice the width that you see above.  I also did this with the dough room temperature, which made it a little tricky, but I pulled it off.

                       After proofing and ready for the oven.
Now all I had to do was wait 20-25 minutes.  I made the brown sugar glaze for the top while time ticked away.  My apartment smelled amazing.  I just had to hope that they looked and tasted as good as they smelled....


                                  Fresh from the oven.                                                          

                            With brown sugar glaze and extra toasted pecans.

The result??  THESE ARE SO FREAKING GOOD.  You have to make them.  The recipe yields a lot of buns (I had 18) so either freeze them or bring them to work for extra brownie points (that's what I did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment